The Secret to a great Blog Design and How to Get a Great Blog Design FAST!

So, as most of you know, I am a Freelance Graphic Designer. I’ve been working with blogs and websites for just over a year to help them be just as beautiful as they always dreamed. So, have you been asking “Computer Screen? Who’s the fairest Blog of them all?” and let me guess, your blog isn’t…..

You want to fix that, don’t you? Thought so! I am going to give you the #1 secret to a great Blog Design… are you ready? Drum roll please!!!!!!

The number one secret to a great blog design is….  A great personality!

Yes, just like you have a great personality, your blog needs a great personality! Your blog is you on the internet, isn’t it? Of course it is! It wouldn’t be a great blog if it didn’t show you! Just like this blog, I’m kind of a Hipster Redneck, if that makes any sense (to some it wont lol). So, I went with the hipster look. I have mustaches; my picture is me in some hipster glasses etc., etc. It didn’t take me long to make this blog “hipster” and I wanted it that way because I don’t have too much time as a family gal, drummer, and Freelance Graphic Designer. If you want a “personality” to your blog here are a few simple steps to getting that personality on your blog!


#1 A Great Header
So, you are thinking “Oh great, her she goes. Making a big push for you to get a header from her!”! Well, that’s a yes and a no. Yes, I would love for you to get a header from me but, I also know that it is just as easy for you to do it yourself. It may turn out professional looking and it may not but, that’s not what we are going for here anyway. You are looking for a great personality!

You can make your own great header!

Here is how you do it!

Go to PicMonkey.com! They are a great website that will let you design, edit, and add text to photos all from the WWW! It won’t take you but about 10 minutes to have a great header! 


When you get there, you’ll see 3 options. You want the “Design” option if you want a text header. If you want a photo header, use “Edit a Photo”.


ALWAYS make sure that your header is 950x300-350 pixels. Any bigger will clutter up your blog. You can always make it smaller but, never bigger.

Play around a bit with PicMonkey and come up with a beautiful header! Let it be you! They have all kinds of fun shapes and things you can add, text with funky curves to add some excitement to your header, and frames to frame off your header.

Once you have your header done “Save” it and upload it to Blogger. If you need any help with that, feel free to email me.



#2 A Fun Picture of Yourself
Your photo that welcomes people to your blog is very important. It needs to be something that will make you instantly recognizable!

You don’t need to have your kids, or your husband in there with you unless they blog with you. If you have a name like say, “Taylor”. I could be very confusing wither or not it is you or your husband who is the blogger.

Your personality should shine through your photo as well! If you can, get some professional photos taken. If you cannot, I recommend taking a fun photo with your phone or camera!

#3 Pick a Page Text Font
There are so many fun fonts that Blogger has to offer but, have you ever once even looked at them? I didn’t think so.  Go check them out in the “Template” section. They are just as cool as the ones on PicMonkey!


That’s all I can tell you without giving away all my secrets :D If you have any questions, please feel free to email me! I’d love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment